1. Everyone has anxiety. Anxiety is there to make us cautious. It is important to be cautious.
Example: Earthquake happens, you are then worried about earthquake. You should be cautious and get prepared - flashlights, slippers by you bed, extra money put away, etc. Do you do that or just walk around worrying. If a woman comes out of a market late at night. She should be worried and cautios. Most people to not look at worries as a time to be cautious. If you have not control, then you are wasting your time worrying.
2. Worries are just thoughts and that does not make them true.
3. Rumination: Most people who ruminate over a matter do not have an control over the ituation so they just keep going over and over the inner dialog. It is essential to self evaluate and make sure you are not making drama out of the situation.
HOW TO COPE WITH ANXIETY:
1. Most people with anxiety take very shallow breaths. This creates a lack of oxygen in the brain and then the brain becomes agitated due to a lack of oxygen.
2. The brain needs oxygen in order to operate in an efficient manner. If there is a lack of oxygen an individual feels out of control and feels unable to solve the problem. OXYGEN QUIETS THE BRAIN.
3. BREATHING AND RELAXATION ARE THE KEY TO COPING WITH ANXIETY. (To change your breathing pattern, post signs on the door frames in your home and do not enter the room without taking a deep breath. Within a week you will breathe differently.) Relaxation will also break the rumination pattern. Classes in "Mindfulness" are extremely helpful.
4.SELF TALK IS THE SECOND MOST IMPORTANT COPING MECHANISM FOR ANXIETY. Script for self talk below.
1. PANIC ATTACKS ARE CAUSED BY A LACK OF OXYGEN IN THE BRAIN. THE BRAIN IS "OXYGEN-STARVED" AND SO THE BRAIN PUMPS ADRENELIN INTO THE BLOOD AND THE HEART SPEEDS UP AND BEGINS TO PALPATE IN ORDER TO GET MORE OXYGEN TO THE BRAIN.
2. IF YOU DON'T BREATHE YOU WILL PASS OUT. YOU WILL NOT DIE BECAUSE THE BRAIN IS SMART ENOUGH TO GET YOU OUT OF THE WAY AND THEN START YOU BREATHING AGAIN.
3. IT WILL TAKE 3 TO 4 HOURS TO COME DOWN FROM A PANIC ATTACK.
- TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND READ THE COPING SHEET !!!!!!!!
- SELF TALK IS THE ANSWER FOR COPING WITH ANXIETY
DIRECTIONS FOR THE "COPING SHEET": READ THIS SHEET OVER UNTIL IT BECOMES A PART OF YOUR EVERYDAY THINKING.
1. TAKE A DEEP BREATH TO SLOW DOWN YOUR PROCESS !
At the first signs of body sensations, or fearful thoughts, change your breathing.
Inhale through your nose. Exhale through your lips
CONTINUE THREE TIMES.
Script for self talk:
2. USE COPING STATEMENT TO SLOW DOWN YOUR PROCESS:
- This is not an emergency. It is ok to slow down.
- I can take all the time I need in order to relax and regroup.
- I can be afraid and anxious and still deal with the situation.
- I have tools to control my anxiety and panic.
- This is an opportunity for me to learn to cope with this problem.
3. THIS UNEASY FEELING WILL PASS. TAKE A DEEP BREATH
- This is not the worst thing that will happen in my life.
- I am not going to die.
- I am strong, courageous and capable.
- I need to go ahead and do what I need to do and the anxiety will decrease.
4. USE YOUR BREATHING TO GAIN STRENGTH.
WHEN YOU BREATHE IN YOU GAIN STRENGTH; WHEN YOU BREATHE OUT YOU RELAX.
- Worries are just thoughts. Let them pass.
- I can ride this through - I don't need to let this get to me.
- I have survived this before and I can survive this time, too.
- I will use my coping skills and allow this to pass.
- Anxiety will not hurt me, even if it does not feel good.
5. FIGHTING AND RESISTING IS NOT GOING TO HELP.
WORRIES ARE JUST THOUGHTS - BECAUSE I HAVE THE THOUGHT DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE!
6. IF YOU ARE OVERWHELMED - BREAK THE TASK INTO SMALL PARTS.
If I worry it will make it worse. If I can stop worrying I can be happy!
COPING STATEMENTS TO HELP CHILDREN
DEAL WITH ANXIETY
- TAKE A DEEP BREATH - RELAX
- Inhale through your nose - count slowly - 1, 2, 3, 4
- Blow out through your mouth - count slowly - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
WHEN YOU BREATH OUT YOU CAN RELAX!
Script for self talk to use with children.
- This is not an emergency. It is ok to slow down.
- You can be afraid and anxious and still deal with the situation.
- This situation will pass.
USE YOUR BREATHING TECHNIQUE - TAKE A DEEP BREATH!
- This is not the worst thing that will happen in your life.
- You need to go ahead and do what you need to do and the anxiety will decrease.
- This is an opportunity for you to learn to cope with this problem you will feel better later.
- You can take all the time you need in order to relax. Just take a minute to close your eyes, take a deep breath and regroup.
- You can ride this through - you don't need to let this get to you.
- You have survived this before and you can survive this time too.
TAKE A DEEP BREATH!!!
USE YOUR BREATHING TECHNIQUE - TAKE A DEEP BREATH! RELAX
- You can use your coping skills and allow this to pass.
- Anxiety will not hurt you even if it does not feel good.
- Fighting and resisting is not going to help - so just let it pass.
- This is not a dangerous situation. You are not going to die.
WORRIES ARE JUST THOUGHTS - BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE THOUGHT DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE!
- If you worry it will make it worse. If you can stop worrying, you can be happy!
- YOU ARE STRONG, COURAGEOUS AND CAPABLE !!!
- YOU CAN DO IT AND FEEL VERY PROUD OF YOURSELF.
When you get anxious you begin to breathe shallowly. Your brain is not getting enough oxygen. The brain sends a message to your heart: "Please, more oxygen!" The heart responds and pumps faster - likewise, heart palpitations and light headedness.
So what you think of as a heart attack or suffocation is only a lack of deep breathing on your part.
* NO ONE EVER DIED OF A PANIC ATTACK!!!!
SO - TAKE A DEEP BREATH !!!!!
2. DEALING WITH PANICKY FELLLINGS:
a. ACCEPT - we are born with anxiety and some are born with more than others. The answer to the problem is how we cope with the anxiety.
b. PERMISSION - I know what it is - I can accept it and I can learn what to do with it.
3. USE BREATHING TECHNIQUE - RELAX AND REGROUP
c. INNER DIALOGUE - positive and comforting as you feel you can gain control.
d. DISTRACT - Take some type of action. (mental or physical). Make a plan of one or two things to do in the next 15 minutes. Do a small project - clean up a small area; make a phone call.
e. LET TIME PASS - DISCOMFORT ALWAYS PASSES.
f. FEAR - FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARS REAL!
- USE YOUR FEAR TO FOLLOW-UP AND FINISH A JOB.
4. SELF TALK SCRIPT TO A HEALTHY SELF ESTEEM:
g. NEGATIVE SELF TALK IS A BAD HABIT!
They are only thoughts and you can choose the thoughts you entertain.
h. POSITIVE THOUGHTS PRODUCE POSITIVE FEELINGS.
- I am a problem solver,
- I am worthy of inner peace
- I CAN CHOOSE TO STAY IN THIS MISERY, OR,
- I CAN CHOOSE TO DO SOMETHING ELSE AND SOON I WILL FEEL BETTER.